Monday, April 21, 2008

Recent trip to the Brooks Range

Aurora borealis over the Brooks range, arctic Alaska. April 2008

Northern lights over mount Dillon, Brooks range, Alaska. April 2008

I recently returned from the Brooks range where I ventured yet again for some photography of the northern lights. Amidst some very snowy weather, I was fortunate to eek out proper timing that delivered some clear skies. The aurora was not outstanding, but acceptable, and the fresh white snow across the landscape was indeed beautiful. Willow ptarmigan, the white, grouse-like birds, were abundant feeding among the willows. In a few days, I'll be in the heart of the Alaska mountain range seeking the same. Photos will be posted upon my return sometime next week.

Willow ptarmigan in winter plumage


No comments: