Friday, July 11, 2008

Horned Lark mouthfull

Horned Lark, Denali National Park, Alaska.
Canon 1Ds Mark III, 500mm f4L w/2x converter, 1/200 sec. @ f/8, ISO 400

Horned larks are ground nesting birds that move quickly about the tundra collecting insects for their young. While hopefully waiting for the clouds to clear over Denali, I entertained myself photographing a pair of Horned larks on the tundra. Their comfortable range with me seemed to merit a 1000mm lens (500 and 2x converter). This means that AI servo only works on the center auto focus point, which can be challenging following a fast moving bird with that degree of lens magnification. There were splashes of wildflower color that I tried to capture the bird against, but this was the best I got. In particular, I liked the collection of insects.


No comments: