Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer Solstice and Mt. McKinley alpenglow

Alpenglow on the North and South peaks of Mt. McKinley on summer solstice
Canon 1Ds Mark III, 500mm f4L IS, 1/125 sec at f/4, ISO 400


I took this photo on summer solstice (June 20, 3:52am) as Mount McKinley's summit was catching the morning alpenglow on the North and South peaks. I was just entering Denali National Park, and this clear view of the mountain turned into billowy clouds by 9:00am the same morning. I was wishing my timing put me deep in the park to make some landscapes of this brilliant morning, but this sequence of events can be elusive; the classic conundrum of having the weather, the light, and your remote location properly synced for landscape photography. I have a few more attempts scheduled for this year, with hopes of some new Mt. McKinley scenics.


1 comment:

Traveler said...

I like the part where it says, "I was just entering..." I don't remember seeing the mountain for the first 100 miles or so inside the park. (Well, maybe it seemed that long because of Hugh's driving.) HA!