Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fishing wolf

Photographing wolves in a wild, natural setting, requires patience and persistence. In this case however, I can claim neither of those virtues, should they be ascribed as such. Sometimes, just the sheer amount of time spent in the field delivers its respective dose of serendipity. While photographing bears in Katmai, this wolf occasioned the Brooks river shore a few times seeking the same nourishment that lured the bears - red salmon. I heard from people that on the previous day, the wolf caught a number of salmon, in all probability, returned to the den to feed young ones. On this visit however, the wolf did some serious looking, but no active fishing. Never the less, the little challenge I encountered to grab the scene was quickly throwing on a 2x converter to get the necessary reach. Always having those extenders accessible is a maxum worth following for any wildlife photography pursuit.

Gray Wolf fishing for salmon, Brooks river, Katmai National Park, Alaska.
Canon 1Ds Mark III, 500mm f4.0L IS, w/2x extender, 1/250 sec @ f 8.0, ISO 400


1 comment:

bundle-o-contradictions said...

Wow! I don't think I'd ever be able to get a shot of a wild animal! (I have a hard enough time w/ my Poor Hubby...)
I know I'm a complete stranger, but there's somethin' goin' around the blogosphere that's supposed to broaden bloggers horizons or some such thing :) & if you want to learn more about it, you can swing by my site because I came across your blog & grooved on your pics so I thought I'd share!