Saturday, January 26, 2008

Self-portraits in the dark

I took a trip with a friend to the White Mountians last April to do some aurora borealis photography. It was a little late in the season for ideal snow conditions, but the skies cleared for a few nights of shooting. It is a challenge to include people in aurora photos due to the lengthy exposures. I made this photo with Canon's 24mm f1.4 lens, which allowed for a short exposure of 3.2 seconds. With no available models around, I was forced to play both rolls. Actually, I used a cable release on self timer and just let it roll for about a minute's worth of successive shots. The wood stove in the cabin fills about half the room and it was "hotter than Georgia asphalt" in there, to quote from one of the cabin journal entries.

April 3, 2007: My self portrait in the White Mountains Recreation Area.
Canon 1Ds Mark II, 24mm f1.4L, 3.2 sec @f1.4, ISO 800


No comments: